Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bon appetit!!!!!!

Well, well, well. Apparently I've decided to become French. Quite literally.

I've always had a fascination with Paris. Even from a young age, I've dreamed of going there, learning the language, effectively becoming French. My fascination grew immensely with the release of the movie Julie & Julia. I watched this movie and instantly fell in love. I found the idea of both stories very appealing. Julie's was learning to cook by cooking her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Julia's was finding her way through life, immersing herself into French life, culture, and food. Both of these women discovered themselves through their journeys, something I've always dreamed of.

After I had first watched the movie, I decided I was going to learn to speak French. My original idea had been to learn French cooking but I figured that might be a little out of my league. On our lovely trip to Disney World, my wonderful husband bought me a book that would help me learn my new language. I've been practicing a bit but not enough to really get anywhere. I've got to start working on it!

One night, while rummaging through the $5 movie bin at Wal-Mart, I came across Julia & Julia and actually screamed because I was so excited to buy it. Since it's purchase, I've probably watched it at least 15 times. Crazy I know. But each time I watch it, I enjoy it more and more. For my birthday, again my wonderful hubby purchased me something that I'd been dying to own. Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I love it! I've become a bit like Julie Powell though in the sense that I am now kind of obsessed with Julia Child and all things French. I bought 2 books on my kindle about her and have even been entertaining the idea of following in Julie's footsteps and cooking my way through Julia's cookbook. I'd love to be able to blog about that but of course it would be like plagiarism and whatnot so maybe I'll just do like a French Friday or something.

I've really just come to appreciate all things French and am trying to convince the hubby to allow us to live in Paris for a year, maybe more. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. That would be amazing to live in Paris!!!
    I want to visit Europe so badly!!!

    ReplyDelete